The current market is overwhelmed by the range of product possibilities that use the latest technology. Therefore, it can be quite easy to get confused when deciding which product to buy. And among the lengthy list of popular dilemmas is the following: smart plug vs. smart bulb—which is better? This has created so much confusion that homeowners are unsure about their lighting options.
Knowing how tricky it can be to keep up with all the smart upgrades, we have created a guide to help you make the right choice.
Part 1. What Shoud You Know About Smart Plugs
1. What Are Smart Plugs?
Smart plugs are small outlets that are placed between power cords and sockets. Their role is to allow you to control the flow of electricity into your devices from almost anywhere. Moreover, they can fit any kind of outlet, meaning you can use them wherever you go. Plus, they are incredibly easy to set up, so you won’t need an expert’s help to install them.
2. How Do Smart Plugs Work?
A smart plug needs to be plugged into an outlet in any room. There are no special wiring systems, so you don’t need any electrical skills to set it up. Once you plug it in, you will only need to sync it to your smartphone. After this is done, you can remove it and move it to another outlet in a different room. You will be able to control your devices in a matter of minutes as long as you have a stable Wi-Fi connection.
However, you should be aware that they will take up some of your outlet space, which can be a downside if you don’t have many outlets around the house. Keep in mind that smart plugs don’t work with ceiling fixtures and sconces, so you won’t be able to control the lighting in the house.
3. Why Use Smart Plugs?
They are versatile devices that can be used in different ways and for various reasons. Some of the most common uses include:
- Small Appliance Management: Smart plugs allow you to manage your lamps, coffee machine, or TV. You can even set timers for turning on and off your devices at specific times. Moreover, they also allow you to set up triggers, such as voice commands or motion detection, to control your appliances.
- Remote Control: Smart plugs are convenient because they allow you to remotely manage your devices with your smartphone. You can do it while you are away from home or when you are in another room. It is quite a practical technology for turning off forgotten heaters or other electronic devices while you’re gone.
- Energy Efficiency: Smart plugs also show the energy consumption of devices. When you connect your appliances to these plugs, they will detect how much energy you are using. This way, you can detect energy consumption and turn off devices remotely to conserve energy.
Part 2. What Shoud You Know About Smart Bulbs
1. What Are Smart Bulbs?
Smart bulbs are advanced lighting devices operated through smartphones, voice commands, or automation systems. They come in different shapes and colors and are available for all kinds of fixtures. Moreover, you can use them both indoors and outdoors because they are installed just like regular light bulbs.
2. How Do Smart Bulbs Work?
Many homeowners today opt for smart bulbs because of their convenient functionality. They are installed just like any other light bulb, and you just need to sync them with your smartphone. You don’t have to do any wiring—so no special skills are needed to set them up. Once you sync these to your smartphone, you can manage them remotely and use different features with your lights.
3. Why Use Smart Bulbs?
The role of smart bulbs is quite versatile, which is why so many people use them differently. Here are some of their most common uses:
- Remote Control of Lights: Since smart bulbs are operated through a smartphone or a voice assistant, you can easily control them remotely. Moreover, you can also set schedules or triggers, so your lights can automatically turn on or off.
- Changing of Settings: Smart bulbs are more than just remotely controlled devices. They give you the ability to change the brightness, colors, or dimness of your lighting. In other words, they allow you to set the ambiance in the room exactly how you desire.
- Energy Efficiency: Smart bulbs are based on LED technology, which is known for its energy efficiency. In addition, the ability to control and automate them helps optimize energy usage and reduce electricity costs.
- Integration with Other Devices: Smart bulbs can be integrated with your home's other smart devices and systems. This means you can connect them with your other appliances and set scenes where you will need your lights to be on or off.
Part 3. Smart Plug vs Smart Bulb: Which to Choose?
While both devices have similar features, they are not used for the same reasons. While trying to make the right choice, you need to think about your needs. For instance, if you intend to control all of your lights remotely while having the option to change their settings, then a smart bulb is your best choice. Also, do you wish to dim the lights and create a low-light ambiance? In that case, the smart bulb should be your go-to.
Does space and convenience matter to you? If you don’t wish to have a plug sticking out of your wall (several inches, to be exact), then a bulb is a better choice. Moreover, keep in mind that some plug designs may cover more than one wall outlet.
If you aim to illuminate your room and don’t need more features, then the bulb is a convenient option. On the other hand, a smart plug would be better suited if you want to operate other devices around a big house.
Some people opt for both when they want to maximize the functionality of their house. Therefore, simply consider your needs and requirements before deciding.
Part 4. Get the Best Smart Bulb Here!
If you decide to go for a smart bulb, make sure that you go for one that has high-quality features that will add to the functionality of your home. Therefore, the products you pick are important. Our AiDot Smart WiFi RGBW Light Bulb is characterized by some amazing features you will find convenient for your home.
- 16 Million Vivid Colors
- Dimmable Warm to Cool Whites
- Music Sync with 4 Modes
- Set Schedule for Your Routine
- App Control & Voice Control & Group Control
[Bonus Now]: Here is an exclusive coupon code only found in blog posts. Save it now (AiDotBG01) and get 10% off at AiDot mall!
Living in the 21st century means having access to advanced technology with a lot of convenient features. Smart bulbs and smart plugs are just some of the options you can decide on. However, before you choose what to use for your home, you need to make sure that you know the difference between a smart plug vs. smart bulb. Only then will you know what is suitable for you!